South Africa > UN-CRC to investigate Intersex Genital Mutilations
NGO Report to the 2nd Periodic Report of South Africa
on the Convention on the Rights of the Child
StopIGM.org / Zwischengeschlecht.org
Timetable CRC Review of South Africa Sep
- Review of South Africa: Mon 19
Sep 10am + 3pm CET
– to be broadcasted live via treatybodywebcast.org!
- The Concluding Observations for South Africa – hopefully with a severe reprimand for IGM practices – are due at the end the 73rd CRC Session (30 Sep 2016).
During its 73rd Session the UN Committee on the Rights of the
Child (CRC) will review South Africa's (+ New
Zealand's) record of protecting its children from harmful practices (as
stipulated in under art. 24(3) CRC in conjunction with the CRC-CEDAW Joint
General Comment No. 18/31). Above thematic Report to the Committee documents
evidence of IGM still being perpetrated in all major South African
University Children's Clinics and the complicity of the
state in this ongoing massive human rights violation, as well as
reports of infanticide of intersex newborns and also
victims of infant "Muti" genital mutilations being submitted to
IGM as "therapy".
CRC has so far investigated IGM practices in 6 countries, each time criticising IGM as a "harmful practice" (just like FGM) and issuing stern reprimands to the complicit governments. Let's again hope for tough questions during the upcoming review of South Africa – and for strong Concluding Observations for the South African Government (+ New Zealand) to take all necessary measures, including legislation, to finally end the impunity of IGM perpetrators and their accessories!>>> New Zealand > UN-CRC to investigate Intersex Genital Mutilations
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT): IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women's Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Inhuman Treatment
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents