New Zealand > UN-CRC to investigate Intersex Genital Mutilations
Photo: Garry L. Warne (center), Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne, where New
Zealand District Health Boards often send intersex children for "feminising"
Nonviolent Intersex Protest vs. "3rd EuroD$D Symposium", Lübeck May 21, 2011 --> Open Letter
NGO Report to the 5th Periodic
Report of New Zealand on the Convention on the Rights of the Child
StopIGM.org / Zwischengeschlecht.org
Timetable CRC Review of New Zealand Sep 2016:
- Review of New Zealand: Thu 15 Sept 3pm CET + Fri
16 Sept 10am CET
– to be broadcasted live via treatybodywebcast.org!
- The Concluding Observations for New Zealand – hopefully with a severe reprimand for IGM practices – are due at the end the 73rd CRC Session (30 Sep 2016).
During its 73rd Session the UN Committee on the Rights of the
Child (CRC) will review New Zealand's (+ South
Africa's) record of protecting its children from harmful practices (as
stipulated in under art. 24(3) CRC in conjunction with the CRC-CEDAW Joint
General Comment No. 18/31). Above thematic Report to the Committee documents
evidence of IGM still being perpetrated by major New Zealand public
University Children's Clinics and District Hospital Bords, plus
intersex children sent abroad to Australia for involuntary
treatments, and the complicity of the state in this ongoing massive
human rights violation.
CRC has so far investigated IGM practices in 6 countries, each time criticising IGM as a "harmful practice" (just like FGM) and issuing stern reprimands to the complicit governments. Let's again hope for tough questions during the upcoming review of New Zealand – and for strong Concluding Observations for the New Zealand Government (+ South Africa) to take all necessary measures, including legislation, to finally end the impunity of IGM perpetrators and their accessories!>>> South Africa > UN-CRC to investigate Intersex Genital Mutilations
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT): IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women's Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Inhuman Treatment
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents