Intersex Genital Mutilations in France: Report to the UN Committee against Torture (CAT) – So far 10 UN Verdicts Condemning IGM
The report includes updated sections on IGM in France and
on legislation against IGM practices as a requirement under
CAT, an updated bibliography of human rights bodies
verdicts and NGO reports, and 2 case stories of IGM survivors.
NGO Report to the 7th Periodic Report of France on the
Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or
Zwischengeschlecht.org / StopIGM.org
The Committee against Torture (CAT) has repeatedly considered Intersex IGM as constituting at least inhuman treatment in breach of the Concention against Tortute, and already reprimanded Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and Hong Kong.
The Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) also considers IGM as inhuman treatment and reprimanded Germany.
In all above 10 verdicts, the Committes issued binding recommendations to take legislative action to end the practice and/or to ensure access to redress and justice for IGM survivors.
In addition, the Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) as the governing body of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR) is currently investigating IGM and called on Switzerland to disclose statistics.
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC) 2015: IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) condems IGM
• Historic 56th Session of Committee against Torture reprimands 4 Governments over IGM
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
IGM as Torture or CIDT: 2015 UN-CAT
1. Personal Testimony – A Survivor's Perspective
2. IGM Practices as Torture or Cruel, Inhuman or
Degrating Treatment (CIDT) 3. Recommendations
>>> Download PDF (1.7 MB) >>> Text only DOC