Harmful myths: "3rd gender" and equality legislation will NOT end Intersex Genital Mutilations – prohibition, sanctions + redress will!
IGM is VIOLENCE, a HARMFUL PRACTICE comparable to FGM, INHUMAN TREATMENT in breach of the UN convention against TORTURE, and MUST STOP. States are obliged to “explicitly prohibit by law and adequately sanction or criminalize harmful practices” and to “adopt legal provisions in order to provide redress to the victims of such treatment, including adequate compensation”.
"3rd gender" or anti-discrimination legislation are NO suitable means to end IGM practices, as the examples of Australia, New Zealand, Nepal, Germany and South Africa clearly prove. Publicly claiming otherwise is APPROPRIATION of the suffering of IGM survivors for 3rd party interests and unnecessarily prolonging IGM practices ('best intentions' notwithstanding), and MUST STOP just as well.
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women's Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Inhuman Treatment
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents